At Lakeland Family Dental, we take great pride in treating our patients compassionately and safely. We have always maintained strict adherence to Universal Precautions and infection control regulations from the American Dental Association (ADA), the Centers for Disease Control & Prevention (CDC), and the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA). For those not familiar, “Universal Precautions” is an approach to infection control that treats all human blood and body fluids as if they were known to be infectious for HIV, Hepatitis, and other pathogens that cause communicable diseases. We’ve been practicing the following Universal Precautions well before any of us had ever heard the term “COVID-19”:
- Regular Sanitation: We use hospital-grade disinfectants certified to kill bacteria and viruses on all surfaces in the office on a regular basis, from dental chairs, to countertops, to door handles, and everything in between.
- Sterilization & Disinfection: All of our instruments, equipment, and barriers are either single use or sterilized in a hospital-grade autoclave, which utilizes pressurized steam at 250°F to kill disease causing viruses and bacteria.
- Hand Hygiene: Proper hand hygiene has always been observed with all team members using an alcohol-based sanitizer or soap & water to wash prior to every appointment. We encourage our patients to join us in this practice!
- Personal Protective Equipment: We utilize PPE (personal protective equipment) such as masks, gloves and protective clothing to protect everyone in our practice, both patients and team members, from exposure to infectious agents.
- The Use of a Waterline Treatment System: Our team uses a waterline treatment system that removes impurities, including bacteria and viruses in our dental delivery units. We water test our dental delivery unit every quarter to ensure our disinfecting and shocking procedures are effective.
Dental offices really are experts at infection control! Given the COVID-19 crisis, continued commitment and follow up with these Universal Precautions will remain our top priority. Some of our key COVID-19 specific precautionary measures include:
- Waiting Room Free Appointments: We ask you to wait in your car and call us when you have arrived for your appointment. Our goal is to use our waiting room as little as possible to maximize social distancing recommendations.
- COVID-19 Pre-Screening Questions: Over the phone, we are asking universally accepted screening questions to increase safety for all. We are also using these screening questions on our Lakeland team members each day.
- Temperature Screenings: We take temperatures on each patient and team member every day using touchless forehead thermometers. Any patient with a fever will be asked to reschedule and any team member with a fever will be sent home until it can be determined they are safe to return to work.
- Patients Only: We are requesting those who can arrive alone for their appointment to do so, unless accompanying a minor child &/or special needs patient.
- Enhanced PPE & Mask Usage: Our level of PPE (personal protective equipment) has been enhanced in accordance with the most recent recommendations. Our clinical team will be utilizing face shields on top of masks during patient care. Our patient coordinators will be behind plexiglass shields and practicing social distancing when they greet you. All team members will be wearing masks at all times! Although we may “look a little different”, we are still the same warm, caring, skilled people you know behind the masks. We encourage all of our patients to join us in wearing masks into our clinic.
Thank you for your continued trust and confidence in our team. We look forward to taking care of you at your next appointment and wish you and your family the very best.